Inventory and Operations Coordinator
Haymarket Books has been publishing radical and progressive books on culture, politics and current events for twenty years. We are a nonprofit press dedicated to social and racial justice as well as a collaborative and supportive work environment. Our authors include Angela Davis, Keeanga-Yamahtta Taylor, Rebecca Solnit, Astra Taylor, Eve L. Ewing, Noam Chomsky and many others.
Haymarket Books seeks an experienced inventory and operations coordinator. This position is responsible for sales reporting and analyses; setting quantities for first printings and reprints; inventory management; special sales; sales of hurts and remainders; updating some title metadata; and daily liaising with Publisher’s domestic and international distributors. This position plays an active role in weekly marketing meetings and interacts with staff, customers, and authors.
- Work with marketing staff on weekly and seasonal metadata entry; troubleshoot metadata problems with distributor and accounts
- Prepare weekly, quarterly and annual inventory and sales reporting and analysis out of distributor’s databases and in-house accounting systems
- Conduct sales and comp title research
- Oversee remainder sales and hurts sales on a quarterly basis
- Conduct analysis and assist with recommendations for print goals and pricing on seasonal basis
- Ensures component inventory at vendors is at appropriate levels to avoid unnecessary storage charges
- Review and manage monthly distributor invoices
- Order books for in-house use and author events
- Oversee special and direct sales operations and customer service:
- Manage billing and fulfillment for special sales and book donation requests
- Handle customer service inquiries for direct sales
- Handle author purchase requests
- First print runs: conduct analysis and make recommendations to Publisher; research and recommend pricing; convey final print schedules and figures to distributor
- Conduct stock and costing analyses; recommend reprint quantities and manage digital printing schedules
- Review and assist staff with setting appropriate inventory levels by title
- Review of digitally printed titles to adjust for changes in sales pattern
- Acts as primary contact for warehouse management to provide operations support
- A minimum of the equivalent of one to two years of relevant work experience, in particular in inventory management and operations
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software, particularly Excel. Experience with accounting software, inventory, managing editorial, finance, and sales databases a plus, along with basic knowledge of HTML
- Highly organized with an attention to detail; good analytical skills
- Ability to work on different projects simultaneously and also to work autonomously
- Strong oral and written communication skills required
- Must be a good team player who enjoys working collaboratively and across departments
Must have an interest in and commitment to the ideals and mission of Haymarket Books and familiarity with our list.
We are committed to furthering racial and economic justice in our city and in our industry. We will prioritize applications from members of historically oppressed and marginalized groups and strive to foster a working culture in which new hires feel supported and valued.
Open to remote applicants in 2021; would ideally want this position to be based in Chicago in 2022.
Start date: ASAP
Benefits: 100% of health insurance covered, 20 days paid vacation plus 16 holidays, 2 weeks paid sick leave, paid parental leave
To apply: Send a short cover note expressing your interest in this position and a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.